February 28th, 2011
Credit Union of Texasseems to be one of the few credit unions that can take nationwide deposits. However, they did indicate that you have to send over your application and then they let you know if it is approved or not. The general membership requirements are:
- Persons who live or work in Dallas, Collin, or Rockwall Counties, regardless of their employer. Check our Field of Membership Map for more information.
- Persons who live or work in the Lewisville, Red Oak, and Midlothian Independent School Districts, regardless of their employer.
The other method is if you are an employee or member of a variety of organizations. However, the following are the most likely in order to be able to access membership from anywhere in the US.
- AAA Auto Club
- American Heart Association
- Dallas Association for the Education of Young Children (DAEYC)
- Vietnamese Eucharistic Youth Society
- Volunteer Center of Dallas
- Young Audiences of Greater Dallas
Often times the community type organizations are looking for a small donation, similar to the Getting Ahead Association of GA (which grants access to membership for many CUs based in Georgia).
So if the rate seems worth it, give it a whirl. If it doesn’t work out, you can still feel good about helping out an association and usually the gift is tax deductible.
|Star Rating:||3 (***)|
|Address:||8131 LBJ Freeway, Suite 550|
Dallas, TX 75251
Credit Union of Texas doesn’t have very strong rates at this point. They do offer a step-up CD on their longer-term certificates, but the start rate is low. If the initial rates or current rates were more attractive, the step-up might make more sense.
If you are interested in some higher rate offerings, shoot us a note. We have a fee-based service. Contact US.
-- By +Chris Duncan